Many large websites display content in several languages. Episerver has powerful support for multi-language management, including the possibility to translate content into a wide range of languages, defining fallback languages for non-translated content, as well as switching language for the editorial user interface.
How does Episerver know which language to display to visitors? Episerver enforces the language to be visible in the URL, either in the path or the domain part of the URL. When a website visitor selects a language option (if available), content in that language is displayed. Alternatively, the preferred content display language may be detected by the browser used by the visitor. If content does not exist in a selected language, a fallback procedure may be applied.
Usually a website has a default or "master" content language set up at the time of installation. In addition to this, you may add multiple content languages as required for your website. The enabling of languages is done in the steps described below. Note that you need administrative access right to access the administration interface in Episerver CMS.
This step activates the language to make it available for further configuration in CMS and Commerce.
- In the admin view in Episerver CMS, go to the Config tab > Manage Website Languages.
- Click on the desired language in the list (you can add a language if the desired one is not available in the list).
- Select the Enabled check box and click Save.
This step makes the language you just enabled available for content creation by editors. A language can be made available for the entire site structure, or for parts of it. By default, subpages inherit language settings from their parent page.
- In the CMS page tree, select the root page for the branch for which you want to enable the language. In this example, we want "French" to be available for the entire site, so the language setting is defined on the start page.
- Open the page in All Properties editing.
- Select Tools and Language Settings in the header.
- Select Change under Available Languages.
- Select the language you wish to enable, click Save and close the dialog.
- For a correct display, the website start page also needs to be made available in the new language. Switch to the newly activated language, go to the start page and select Translate and then publish it to make it available in the new language.
Once the language has been enabled as described above, it is available for content translation.
The Episerver user interface is available in a number of different languages. To set the desired user interface language for CMS, click your user profile name in the upper right corner. Select My Settings and then the Display Options tab. Select the language of your choice in the list, and click Save.
Commerce and multiple languages
Refer to Multi-language management in the Commerce section for information on how to work with multiple languages if you have Episerver Commerce installed.
Find and multiple languages
Refer to Optimizing multiple sites and languages for information on how to work with multiple languages if you have Episerver Find installed.